at Skyhawk Pictures
Getting it Right
Whether you are a seasoned pro or just starting your career as an actor, it's no exaggeration to say that your headshot is absolutely paramount. Unless you are already personally known to production, your headshot is the primary means by which casting agencies will take you on and how casting directors will select you for audition. It's important to get it right - it must look like you and it must be good quality. At Skyhawk Pictures that's precisely what we do.
So what will casting see when they see your current headshot? Will they see someone who enjoys the sun (a holiday snap)? Or someone who likes a drink with the lads or girls (a selfie)? Maybe someone who once had hair? (a 10yr old headshot that will come back to bite you at the audition or interview)? More importantly, what conclusion will the viewer draw from your picture?
But don't take our word for it. Here's a Spotlight video on what casting directors have to say on the subject.
Spotlight Video: Everything You Need to Know About Headshots
An awesome experience. Stephen was recommended to me by a friend and I now recommend him to you! He is very friendly, professional and helped me get some excellent shots. I'm so pleased.Cleo L, Wirral
A Range of Different Looks
There's no-one quite like you
Let's face it, there's no way you can second guess what a casting director will be looking for. Sometimes you simply will not be the right person for the role. This is fine and perfectly normal. Rather than get frustrated, you should accept this and start to build your brand. Play to your strengths. Your unique selling point is you! No one else can do "you" quite like you can. So have a good idea of where you want to fit in to the acting landscape and set out your personal acting brand accordingly so that casting directors can see it.
At a Skyhawk Pictures photo shoot, you will get a range of shots that represent you authentically and that represent that brand.
- they will all look like you
- they will all be perfectly proportioned headshots
- they wont be overly flouncy, fussy or unfathomable
Casting directors will be able to see what you're about and cast you appropriately. The number of shots you take away with you is entirely up to you and your budget.
So, before your shoot with me, we'll get together either in person over a coffee or by phone to go over what we want to get done and we'll formulate a shoot plan. Whether you want to simply refresh your existing headshots or you are just starting out, we'll plan it out so that we can hit the ground running on the day and start to build your brand.
By way of example, all the shots below were from the same shoot with Ian. We changed the lighting, the looks, the wardrobe, the background ...and in this case, even the beard! But this is just a small fraction of the shots taken on the day but they all represent Ian's brand.
It's a Collaboration
Neither of us can do this on our own
Superficially, our job is to bring the cameras and the lights and all that paraphernalia and degree of photographic skill and experience.
But we have a more important role than that. Lots of actors, including the big names, do not like getting their headshots done. They feel it's a necessary evil. They are used to moving around, playing the part and feel at ease doing that. But sitting there, still, unmoving, they feel self-conscious and awkward.
That's where we come in. We will tell you everything you need to know. We will coach you through the whole process. You don't need to have any prior experience or knowledge - we'll take care of you. We'll chat, take breaks, look at how we're doing in real time on the computer and ajust what we need to do as we go. In the end, most find the experience with Skyhawk Pictures rewarding, informative and fun!
Make no mistake, no matter what, We will do a great job for you. That's guaranteed. However, you will get more out of our session if you bring something to the party.
If you haven't already, start thinking about your brand. How do you want to be portrayed, what do you want people to see when they see your headshots (and any and all other images)? Everything you do should have a nod toward that brand.
It's your shoot so feel free to throw in a few moves of your own. You may not feel like this at the start, but you certainly will once you've settled in! Also be open-minded to suggestions and be prepared to work with us to get you the best shots.
Finally, be prepared to have a bit of fun with it!
About The Shoot
From start to finish, this is what we'll do
- We have a quick chat about you and your goals and I can answer your questions. We'll also arrange the shoot date
- Sign a contract and pay a booking deposit
- We'll make a shoot plan and discuss any hair and wardrobe preferences.
- Turn up at the shoot, I'll get set up and we can have a cuppa.
- We'll review our shoot plan and see if we want to make any changes.
- We'll start off with some test shots to get the ball rolling, adjust the lighting and generally ease ourselves into it.
- I'll coach you through everything you need to do giving you feedback on everything as we go.
- We'll periodically stop and review the images we have so far on the computer. This is a real eye-opener for many clients - they can't believe how good they look right out of the gate!
- We'll continute the shoot/review cycle until what we've perfected what we're aiming for.
- We may change the wardrobe at this point or we may change the lighting, depending on our shoot plan.
- Repeat Act 2 with the new look (and for all subsequent looks)
- We'll review the whole shoot and discard the goofs (blinks etc.) and we'll earmark the ones we really like
- After the shoot, I upload all photos (there could be hundreds) to your own private gallery that you can share with your agent if you have one. This watermarked gallery is to help you make your final selections
- You use your online gallery to choose your favourite image or images
- You pay the balance of your account
- I will retouch your chosen images and deliver them back to your gallery, free from watermarks and ready to upload to your preferred agency site.
The shoot was easy and fun. Tips on how to hold one's head and posture led to surprisingly instant professional shots which we could review as we went along.Rich A, Liverpool
Your headshot is an investment in your talents
Remember the aim of your headshot is to get you into that audition. The rest is up to you and your talent. Believe in yourself and your headshot will pay for itself with the first role you get.
Our pricing puts you in control of your budget. The shoot can be as long or short as you like, and the number of images you take away is entirely up to you. The pricing is easy: -
This includes: -
A Word From Me
Hi, I'm Stephen, owner-operator of Skyhawk Pictures.
I am passionate about my photography and I don't believe you'll find a better headshot photographer in the market. I'm fully committed to ensuring you get the best, highest-quality headshot that will work hard for your in the way you need it to. A huge amount of my work is from referrals and repeat business and I want you to be satisfied so that you will tell your friends and colleagues about your experience and come back again.
I had a fantastic time getting my corporate headshots done with Skyhawk Pictures. Not only was Stephen a pleasure to work with, his vast experience and know-how meant I ended up with some fantastic pictures. Highly recommend.Tom P, Liverpool